Who may need safeguarding?

Who may need safeguarding services?

A person with care and support needs, living in the Portsmouth area who is at risk of, or experiencing, abuse or neglect and as a result of their care and support needs is unable to protect themselves, will be able to access safeguarding support. They will be able to access help from safeguarding services even if they are not eligible for other social care services.

This may be a person who:

  • is elderly and frail due to ill health, physical disability or cognitive impairment
  • has a learning disability
  • has a physical disability and/or a sensory impairment
  • has mental health needs including dementia or a personality disorder
  • has a long-term illness/condition
  • misuses substances or alcohol
  • is a carer, (family member/friend) and is subject to abuse
  • does not have capacity to make a decision and is in need of care and support.

What is Abuse?

Abuse can happen anywhere and can be carried out by anyone. This could be family, friends, neighbours, paid staff, carers or volunteers. It could also be other service users, tenants or strangers. Abuse is anything that harms another person and might include:

  • Physical abuse such as hitting, pushing, locking someone in a room.
  • Verbal abuse such as shouting, swearing.
  • Emotional abuse such as bullying, taunting or humiliating someone.
  • Sexual abuse such as inappropriate touching, forcing someone to take part in any sexual act against their will.
  • Financial abuse such as misusing, withholding or taking someone’s money.
  • Neglect such as not providing necessary food, care or medicine.
  • Discrimination such as ill treatment due to the person’s age, gender, disability or religious beliefs.

People who require care and support must be able to trust and depend on the people they rely on for help. No abuse is acceptable. Some abuse is a criminal offence and should be reported to the Police as soon as possible.